Covenant Medical Center
Covenant Medical Center, part of Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare, is a 366-bed, full-service, multi-specialty hospital that provides acute, sub-acute, and outpatient care. This institution offers the area’s only Level II regional neonatal intensive care unit, as well as the only comprehensive, accredited, and multidisciplinary cancer treatment center. Covenant Medical Center also provides the Midwest’s only cancer rehabilitation and wellness program.
Covenant Medical Center needed to upgrade its outdated nurse call solution. The existing system didn’t work properly, and problems increased after the rehabilitation unit moved to a new location within the hospital (and the nurse call system moved with it). Patients couldn’t rely on call lights to work, and staff members were disappointed in the level of service they were receiving. They often had to pay in order to have phone conversations about recurring system problems. When it came time to upgrade, Covenant Medical Center wanted to try a new solution. Familiar with CEC’s work for another hospital within the Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare system, Covenant Medical Center decided to establish a partnership with CEC.
To help Covenant Medical Center use technology to improve patient care and response times, CEC helped the institution select and integrate a new nurse call system. As a result, Covenant Medical Center now has:
- A customizable staff communications system that was easily configurable to the rehabilitation department’s needs. A button was created specifically for therapists to indicate their location so other staff members know where to find them.
- Improved patient call response times and streamlined workflow now that all call lights work, with patient calls delivered directly to the appropriate caregiver.
- Local service and support for the nurse call system.
- An easy-to-operate solution that allows caregivers to speak directly and clearly with patients.
- Wireless phones to facilitate communication between staff members, regardless of location.
- Innovative staff workflow stations featuring touchsreens that assist with process automation through timers and reminders.
When CEC installed the nurse call system, they worked side by side with us so they knew which rooms they could get into. They were very good about wearing necessary protective gear. There was great communication throughout the entire process; they let us know what was happening each step of the way.