Linn County REC
Linn County Rural Electric Cooperative (REC) is a not-for-profit, member-owned electric distribution cooperative serving more than 26,000 members in portions of six counties in eastern Iowa. Its membership includes residential and commercial accounts in rural and suburban areas of Linn and Johnson counties with line extensions into Jones, Cedar, Iowa, and Benton counties. Linn County REC is committed to providing members with reliable, cost-effective, sustainable electricity and excellent customer service.
As long-time partners, Linn County REC first partnered with CEC for design, integration, and maintenance of its two-way communications system. Once the initial two-way solution was in place, Linn County REC then needed assistance with IT projects and wanted a service provider that could help work through wireless, network, and VoIP problems as they arise.
CEC has partnered with Linn County REC on a variety of projects, including two-way communications, IT networking, and 24/7 service. As a result of this partnership, Linn County REC now has:
- A two-way radio system that complies with regulations and also ensures safe, clear communication between work crews out in the field and employees in the office – especially during power restoration projects and severe weather.
- Connection of its two-way radio system with a SCADA system, which monitors substations. Alerts let employees know what’s happening with the computer control system 24/7.
- A comprehensive firewall system that includes antivirus, antispam, antispyware, and content-filtering capabilities. This prevents business interruption due to unauthorized access to the network.
- An upgraded wireless network that makes communication with substation equipment easier, offering more bandwidth so employees can access more information faster.
- Faster and safer response in managing power delivery effectively thanks to a two-way communications solution that offers a wide coverage area. Tasks can be rapidly dispatched in real time.
- 24/7 support as needed for any problems that may arise with its VoIP phone system, two-way communications, or wireless network.
CEC offers outstanding service, and has always treated us well. They are top-notch, and have great people to work with. It’s nice to have local people working on our jobs; it’s easier to describe things if they’re familiar with the area